How to create an authinfo.gpg encrypted file with a GitHub token

Phil Pennock gnupg-users at spodhuis.org
Wed Feb 26 23:32:02 CET 2020

On 2020-02-26 at 00:18 +0000, John Stevenson wrote:
> I would like to store a GitHub personal access token in a file called
> ~/.authinfo.gpg so that the token is not stored unencrypted on my
> computer.  This file would be used by Emacs to talk to GitHub via its API.
>
> I have never used GnuPGP before, although I have gnupg2 installed on Ubuntu
> Linux.

Hide away GnuPG as a low-level detail and focus on "storing credentials
for use".

Take a serious look at Pass: <https://www.passwordstore.org/>
which has an Emacs integration already, at:
<https://git.zx2c4.com/password-store/tree/contrib/emacs>.

(It's been 25 years since I last seriously used Emacs so I can't comment
 on that, and I don't actually use pass myself, as I independently
 created the same general thing in Python at about the same time as Pass
 was create, but the model definitely works since it works for me).

-Phil