Syncing GnuPG data between computers

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Jan 2 13:50:02 CET 2020

On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 15:46, Steve McKown said:

> The GnuPG configuration files are simple enough, but the database files
> are another story I imagine.

We have always used a platform independent on-disk format for all files.
Thus copying the files between different platforms is no problem at all.

> My search-fu keeps suggesting using gpg import and export, like:

Yes, that is the official way because the on-disk data format is not
standardized.  Newer GnuPG versions may add new data items to the files
which might not be fully compatible with older GnuPG versions.  If you
use the same GnuPG versions (e.g. 2.2.x) on all machines you won't run
into problems.  We take great care not to break anything.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner