What are some threats against which OpenPGP smartcards are useful?

Andrew Gallagher andrewg at andrewg.com
Tue Jan 7 15:25:22 CET 2020

On 07/01/2020 13:09, Wiktor Kwapisiewicz via Gnupg-users wrote:
> These two things are really useful when using the same token on multiple
> devices (e.g. I use the same card on my laptop and phone).

This is also a very good argument for smartcards - transferring a
private key between devices is error-prone and potentially catastrophic.
Yes, it can be done securely but for non-experts (and even experts!)
having a physical "key" is much more intuitive. How often have we heard
of people accidentally distributing their private key instead of their
public one? Few of them will have a 128-bit secure passphrase like RJH. :-)

--
Andrew Gallagher