Re-sign subkey binding with changed digest?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Jan 9 12:56:42 CET 2020

On Wed,  8 Jan 2020 21:37, Andrew Gallagher said:

> Have you tried changing the subkey expiry? Or does that reuse the same hash?

That is what I would also suggest.  The expire sub-command is useful for
all such things.  It should always use the current default digest
algorithms.

Regarding the SHA-1 collisions: GnuPG 2.2 still considers SHA-1 based
self-signatures (either on a user-id or a subkey) has valid.  If we
would disallow that all dsa1024 keys would be rendered useless.  dsa1024
requires SHA-1.  Compared to the trouble we already had with removing
PGP-2 keys, removing dsa1024 would be a much loader outcry.

Nevertheless, moving away from dsa1024 is important.  We just can't
force users to do that.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner