Changes in GnuPG

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Fri Jan 10 01:13:27 CET 2020

> @rjh: I guess you will now remark about random_seed, but I don't think
> tha this is anymore an issue with modern versions.  The entropy
> gathering changed quite a bit in the 2.2 and we may eventually remove
> that file.  (Due to the new JitterRNG which is sufficient on Windows and
> the faster getrandom call on Linux).

Growing up in a family of hunters, I learned at an early age that even
if someone tells you a firearm is unloaded you should still clear the
chamber and store it pointed in a safe direction... especially if
someone tells you "no, really, it's perfectly safe, I just checked it".

I apply the same to any file claiming to be a random seed.  No matter
who tells me it's safe to copy it I'm not going to copy it, and I think
other people would be best served to adopt the same rule.  :)