Accidentally deleted ~/.gnupg/pubring.gpg

Ángel angel at pgp.16bits.net
Sat Jul 11 01:47:18 CEST 2020

On 2020-07-09 at 10:19 +0200, Werner Koch via Gnupg-users wrote:
> If you know the fingerprint it is of course easy to find the creation
> date; that are at worst a mere 710 million hashes (from 1998 to now).
> it is just that we don't have the tooling.  To make things easier I
> will
> probably store the creation date as meta data along with the bare
> numbers in the forthcoming 2.3.

I have some toll that could do that. It's a matter of bruteforcing 4
bytes. The user probably has some idea of *when* it was created, highly
simplifying it. In fact, assuming this is the same computer on which the
key was created (quite likely, since there is no backup), the filesystem
timestamp of the file holding the secret key shouild be at most a few
seconds off, thus making such search immediate.

i should note however, that if someone loses its public key, and it
wasn't published anywhere he can simply reach it (such as the
keyservers), yet he wants to keep using the same key, that probably
means that *someone* else has that public key, and thus it might be
problematic to create a new key. In which case, the public key could be
retrieved from one of the third parties having it.