Multiple UIDs or multiple master keys?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Jul 14 11:20:53 CEST 2020

On Dienstag, 14. Juli 2020 02:48:06 CEST Philihp Busby via Gnupg-users wrote:
> 2: What benefits benefits are there to having separate master keys for
> personal and professional use? Outside of not wanting the identities
> linked, because I am not yet famous enough for that.

You might not want to store your personal master key on a computer provided
(and controlled) by your employer.

Also: Ask yourself what happens when you change the employer. Your employer
might want you to revoke the key. And your new employer probably doesn't want
the old employer's UID on the key you use for the new employer.

If you are self-employed and/or use a smartcard for you master key, then those
reasons may not be that relevant.

But I suggest to ask the opposite question: What benefits are there for _not_
having separate master keys for personal and professional use?

Regards,
Ingo