Newbie question.

Ralph Seichter ralph at ml.seichter.de
Tue Jul 28 14:42:54 CEST 2020

* Ayoub Misherghi via Gnupg-users:

> How about collective and cooperative effort in a wiki, or cloud
> funding pledges or donations? Those who contribute (money or effort)
> get privilege of some kind.

>From what I observed over the years, a majority of Wikis only really
work within closely knit groups of people where contributions are
limited to a select few who genuinely know what they are writing about.

I do not want amateurs, be it well-meaning or malicious, write about
security related subjects in a Wiki, because that might (in the eyes of
casual visitors and search-engines) cause their scribblings to be
confused with facts. The amount of BS that can be found on Wikipedia is
case in point.

A Wiki about encryption with write access limited to people who
demonstrably understand the math sounds like a good thing to me, but a
"Community Wiki" does not. Community usually (and sadly) means too many
loud-mouthed, attention-seeking bozos.

-Ralph