Protecting encryption server

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Tue Jul 28 21:58:45 CEST 2020

> Have you heard about data diodes ? If not, then you can read this
> document
> <https://owlcyberdefense.com/blog/what-is-data-diode-technology-how-does-it-work/>.

Strange but true: although I can't claim to have been on the research
team that invented the data diode, I *was* on the research team that
invented the first cheap optical data diode.  We packaged it up into an
Altoids tin.  Total materials cost was under $100, and most of that was
spent on the custom PCB.

> Data diodes are unhackable because it relies on the law of physics...

Oh, quite the contrary.  It just forces the attacker to get clever.

Our paper from 2006:

https://www.usenix.org/legacy/event/evt06/tech/full_papers/jones/jones_html/index.html