Certified OpenPGP-encryption after release of Thunderbird 78

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Jun 2 12:01:05 CEST 2020

On Fri, 29 May 2020 14:43, karel-v_g--- said:

> But it's a pity that Thunderbird developed its own solution because of
> licensing issues while we have a proven working solution with GnuPG...

For the records: There is no licensing issue; it is just a Mozilla
policy issue not to use or depend on software which is not fully under
their policy control.  We have had long discussions with them more than
15 years ago with the result: no OpenPGP support and no improvements to
their (back then) not very well working S/MIME code.  This decision
forced us to implement S/MIME in GnuPG and is also one of the reasons
why Patrick does not use GPGME has interface to GnuPG, despite that it
is a well tested, maintained, and widely used (think Windows) interface
to GnuPG.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner