root certificate for smime missing gpgconf --launch dirmngr

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Jun 9 09:40:25 CEST 2020

Hi Uwe,

Am Sonntag 07 Juni 2020 17:14:10 schrieb Uwe Brauer via Gnupg-users:
> However the root certificate is still not found. Thunderbird provides
> this certificate so I could install it manually.
> However I would prefer an automated solution.

from my point of view, installing a root CA in the hiearchical trust model
means that you fully trust it, thus it cannot be done automatically, unless
you have a trusted sources of root certificates.

If you trust a set of root certificates, like the ones shipped with your
operating system or a different application, you could just import them all
and mark them trusted. Of course you would need to sync this, if the set
changes on updates.

Some hints about using CMS and S/MIME are here https://wiki.gnupg.org/X.509
but this misses instructions how to deal with root certificates in modern
GnuPG versions currently.

Regards,
Bernhard