decrypt aes256 encrypted file without gpg-agent

vedaal at nym.hush.com vedaal at nym.hush.com
Fri Jun 26 20:15:52 CEST 2020

On 6/26/2020 at 4:54 AM, "Fourhundred Thecat" <400thecat at gmx.ch> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have file encrypted with symmetric cipher (aes256) and not
>signed.
>
>How can I decrypt it without using gpg agent ?
>
>I get these errors:
>
>$ gpg -d file.gpg
>gpg: failed to start gpg agent
>gpg: decryption failed: no secret key

=====

Also can't get it without using agent.
Tried using option of --no-use-agent  and gpg2 says 'obsolete option, has no effect'.
The option of --no-default-keyring doesn't help if the home directory is not open.

Agent will not start unless home directory is open  ( my home directory is in an encrypted container)
Once the home directory is there (when I unencrypted mine), agent starts, and a pinentry window opens asking for the symmetric passphrase,

When I unencrypt the home directory, but not the keyring,
gpg will still decrypt when using the option of --no-default-keyring

(feature request:  can GPG2 be made to work from only the command-line without a pine entry window, and without gpg-agent?)

TIA

vedaal