decrypt aes256 encrypted file without gpg-agent

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Tue Jun 30 16:50:59 CEST 2020

> I am basing my judgment on universal principles, that apply not only to
> gpg or other software, but design of any systems in general.

There is no such universal playbook.  It simply does not exist.

In his book _Lila_ the philosopher Robert M. Pirsig wrote that morality
is not a set of universal principles, so much as it is what emerges from
the interplay of conflicting principles that are at odds with each other.

You can say the same about software engineering.  There are no universal
principles, only rules of thumb that are often at odds with each other.

Learn about GnuPG's design and why it is the way it is, _then_ judge it.
 To loftily decree there exist universal principles and thus you don't
need to learn the specifics before judging is little different from the
judge who decrees that murder is illegal and so doesn't need to learn
whether the accused was acting in self-defense.

> Imagine what a mess it would be, if you tried to design a car where the
> engine can be replaced while you are driving. I have no experience
> designing cars, but that does not prevent me from seeing this would be
> bad design specification.

I'm an amateur auto racer, and this sounds like an *awesome* idea.  In
virtually all races pit crews are required to not touch the car until
it's stopped moving, entirely for safety reasons: when there's a
thousand-kilo piece of metal in motion, it's wise to require people to
stay clear of it.  If you could figure out a way to make it safe to make
changes to a car in motion, you'd have every NASCAR and SCCA team
beating a path to your door.

Your "universal principles", well -- aren't.