Broken / lost smartcard

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Sun Mar 8 10:03:28 CET 2020

El día domingo, marzo 08, 2020 a las 09:11:49a. m. +0100, Andreas K. Huettel via Gnupg-users escribió:

> [changing the subject since this is quite a different topic]
>
> > What I would like to know how people handle the case when a SmardCard gets
> > lost, broken or maybe confiscicated at an Airport etc.?
>
> Well, that's the argument for having at least primary/cert key and encryption
> subkey not *only* on the smartcard but also in a safe place somewhere.
>
> For a signature subkey it doesnt matter then if you lose it (just make a new
> one), and for an authentication subkey you need to prepare to have some
> alternative means of access (or also a backup).

For me the bigger problem would be the stored crypted data in the
password-store where I have nearly 300 credentials:

$ find .password-store -type f | wc -l
     282

I wrote a script which decrypts all these files to STDOUT in a form which
could be fed again into the pass(1) command and stores this
in some secure place from time to time.

	matthias
--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru at unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045

Deutschland raus aus der NATO! NATO raus aus Deutschland! Frieden mit Russland!
Germany out of NATO! NATO out of Germany! Peace with Russia!
¡Alemania fuera de OTAN! ¡OTAN fuera de Alemania! ¡Paz con Rusia!