ed448 support in gpg?

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Wed Mar 11 20:49:12 CET 2020

> In this situation, I just want to avoid creating a new key-pair as
> long as possible and ed448 is likely to survive just a bit longer from
> what I understand.

Why is it so important your keypair be as long-lived as possible, when
there's very little likelihood of you going for that long a period
without a key compromise event?

Think about key compromise events as you would a building fire.  We
don't make our buildings fireproof: instead, we clearly mark fire exits,
hold drills, make backups, and write continuity-of-operations plans.
The fire *will* happen, but how quickly we recover from it is up to us.

Murphy *will* find us, Murphy *will* beat us, Murphy *will* take our
lunch money.  When making a new keypair, I think people are well-served
to remember the key lifetime is fundamentally in Murphy's hands -- not
theirs.