Fw: Save encryption

Stefan Claas sac at 300baud.de
Tue Mar 17 19:21:16 CET 2020

Beginn der weitergeleiteten Nachricht:

Datum: Thu, 12 Mar 2020 11:05:20 -0700
Von: "Elliot Harmon | EFF Activism Team" <action at eff.org>
An: <sac at 300baud.de>
Betreff: Save encryption

This is a friendly message from the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

EFF - Electronic Frontier Foundation

Action Alert
Members of Congress have mounted a major threat to your
security online.

The Graham-Blumenthal bill deals with the very serious issue
of child exploitation online, but it offers no meaningful
solutions. It doesn't help organizations that support
victims. It doesn't equip law enforcement agencies with
resources to investigate claims of child exploitation or
training in how to use online platforms to catch
perpetrators. Rather, the bill's authors have used defending
children as the pretense for an attack on our free speech
and security online.

Bottom line: the Graham-Blumenthal bill would give the
Attorney General far too much power to dictate how Internet
companies must operate. We all know how AG William Barr
would use that power: to break encryption.

Barr has repeatedly insisted that communications platforms
should undermine their own security in order to give law
enforcement agencies access to our private messages. The
Graham-Blumenthal bill would finally give Barr the power to
demand that those platforms obey him or face serious
repercussions, including both civil and criminal liability.
Barr's demands would put encryption providers like WhatsApp
and Signal in an awful conundrum: either face the
possibility of losing everything in a single lawsuit or
knowingly undermine their users' security, making all of us
more vulnerable to criminals.

The so-called EARN IT Act is anti-speech, anti-security,
anti-innovation, and unnecessary. Let's tell Congress to
reject it.

Take action now:
https://act.eff.org/action/protect-our-speech-and-security-online-reject-the-graham-blumenthal-bill

Thank you,

Elliot Harmon
Activism Team
Electronic Frontier Foundation

Support our work to defend free speech and security online:
https://supporters.eff.org/donate/graham-blumenthal
ABOUT EFF

The Electronic Frontier Foundation is the leading organization protecting
civil liberties in the digital world. Founded in 1990, we defend free
speech online, fight illegal surveillance, promote the rights of digital
innovators, and work to ensure that the rights and freedoms we enjoy are
enhanced, rather than eroded, as our use of technology grows. EFF is a
member-supported organization. Find out more at https://eff.org.

 		 Activism

 		 Impact Litigation

 		 Technology

This newsletter is printed from 100% recycled electrons.
815 Eddy Street, San Francisco, CA 94109 United States
EFF appreciates your support and respects your PRIVACY [1].

UNSUBSCRIBE OR CHANGE YOUR EMAIL PREFERENCES [2], or OPT OUT OF ALL EFF
EMAIL [3]

815 Eddy Street
San Francisco, CA 94109-7701
United States