gpg-agent connection errors

Kent A. Larsen klarsen at neweralife.com
Tue May 5 20:08:25 CEST 2020

As part of a server upgrade, we recently replaced a GnuPG 1.4.x installation with GnuPG 2.2.19, from the Gpg4win package (3.1.11). The server is running Windows Server 2016.

We have an un-attended application that runs on that same server that needs to sign+encrypt  a file (4 to 6 distinct files each weekday)for transfer to an external client.

Since the upgrade, invoking gpg to sign+encypt a file periodically fails with the message "gpg: can't connect to the agent: IPC call failed" followed by messages indicating "No agent running". The failure appears to occur on the first file processed (in a group of 3 or more files), and the remaining files are processed without error.

We are relying on gpg to automatically start gpg-agent (as needed). Does gpg-agent auto-terminate after a certain period of inactivity?

Would appreciate any help you can provide that would allow us to eliminate these errors. Thanks.

Kent A. Larsen, FLMI
Systems Analyst
New Era/Philadelphia American Life Insurance Companies
klarsen at neweralife.com
Direct: (402) 905-2179

HIPAA requires covered entities to safeguard Protected Health Information (PHI) related to a person's health care. Information in this email may include PHI that has been provided after appropriate authorization from the patient or under certain circumstances that do not require the patient's authorization. You, the recipient, are obligated to maintain PHI in a safe and secure manner. You may not use or disclose this email without additional patient consent unless required by law. Unauthorized use or disclosure of or failure to safeguard PHI could subject you to penalties under state and/or federal law. The information contained in this email and any attachments is also confidential and may be subject to copyright or other intellectual property protection. If you are not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, please notify us immediately and delete this email from your email system. Please also shred any hard copy of this email and attachments, if any. If you have received this email in error, please notify our Privacy Officer immediately at (281)368-7200 (in Houston) or toll free at (800)552-7879.