Fwd: The GnuPR FAQ

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Tue May 12 16:41:09 CEST 2020

> Even using only English words greater than 5 letters and unrelated to
> each other, an extremely low-bound estimate, would be 77760 words.
> (in reality, far greater, but let's use an example people would agree
> on).

This is probably not the best metric.  The length of the word is
irrelevant: if one of your words is "zoo", that's no easier or harder to
guess than "prolix" or "antediluvian".  The words are all equally random.

Much more important than length is memorability.  "Coulrophobia" is a
great word but I'd be looking up how to spell it all the time.

You can get by just fine in most everyday English with a vocabulary of
5,000 words.  Stick to those words and you'll have an easy-to-remember
passphrase.

Or, you know, learn coulrophobia, enhance your vocabulary, and get down
with your clown-fearing self.  It's up to you.  :)