Comparison of RSA vs elliptical keys

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Wed May 13 12:18:36 CEST 2020

> RJH's answer sounds like a good piece of advice, but still, at the end,
> we HAVE to to choose which algorithm to use when creating new key pairs.

rjh at maggie:~$ gpg --gen-key
gpg: WARNING: using experimental features from RFC4880bis!
Note: Use "gpg --full-generate-key" for a full featured key generation
dialog.

GnuPG needs to construct a user ID to identify your key.

Real name: Delete Me
Email address: delete at example.org
You selected this USER-ID:
    "Delete Me <delete at example.org>"

Change (N)ame, (E)mail, or (O)kay/(Q)uit? o
We need to generate a lot of random bytes. It is a good idea...

[snip]

Where in there was I ever asked to choose an algorithm?

"Unless you know what you're doing and why, use the defaults."  I've
been saying that for twenty years now.  I keep thinking that someday
someone will actually take it seriously...