keys require a user-id

Stefan Claas sac at 300baud.de
Fri May 15 22:54:32 CEST 2020

Peter Pentchev wrote:

> On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 07:07:40PM +0200, Stefan Claas wrote:

> > Mind you, I have only asked that GnuPG should support the import and
> > processing of UID-less public key blocks and did not requested that
> > this should be a default behaviour in the key generation process.
>
> And the answer has been given: because those blocks violate the
> OpenPGP standard and, as I understand Robert J. Hansen (and I
> apologize to him if I'm putting the wrong words into his mouth), his
> position is that there is no reason for this violation to exist at
> all, there is no reason for UID-less key blocks to exist at all, so
> GnuPG is quite right in following the OpenPGP standard and not
> accepting them.

You know what, the most interesting thing of this ML for me is that
when people, do a request or suggestion the old guard is always there
to defend some standard and are not accepting that a new product on the
OpenPGP market, with a new feature included, add an enrichment to a
given standard, which people may like to use and appreciate.

Regards
Stefan

--
Signal (Desktop) +4915172173279