keys require a user-id

Stefan Claas sac at 300baud.de
Sat May 16 01:36:10 CEST 2020

Peter Pentchev wrote:

> On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 10:54:32PM +0200, Stefan Claas wrote:

> > You know what, the most interesting thing of this ML for me is that
> > when people, do a request or suggestion the old guard is always
> > there to defend some standard and are not accepting that a new
> > product on the OpenPGP market, with a new feature included, add an
> > enrichment to a given standard, which people may like to use and
> > appreciate.
>
> OK, but *how* is it an enrichment? What does a UID-less key provide
> over a randomly-generated UID? Why go to the bother of supporting a
> new special case when you can get the same result in another way,
> with zero additional code in any of the existing implementations and
> only a couple more lines of code in the special client that will have
> to generate a random UID?

Fact is this function is available for users of OpenPGP software. We
should better think of how this will pan out in the future, if users
start to use OpenPGP software with UID-less public keyblocks and how
GnuPG users can interact with them, or not?

Regards
Stefan

--
Signal (Desktop) +4915172173279