keys require a user-id

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri May 22 11:07:29 CEST 2020

On Wed, 20 May 2020 15:16, Mark said:
> It must be... With all the talk of "anonymous" keys I wanted to see if I
> could create one with Kleopatra, especially since it says optional for
> name.

The name should indeed be optiona; If that has not been fixed in the
latest version, please file a bug.

GPG has always allowed to create a key with just a mail address:

$ gpg --gen-key
Note: Use "gpg --full-generate-key" for a full featured key generation dialog.

GnuPG needs to construct a user ID to identify your key.

Real name:
Email address: foo at example.org
You selected this USER-ID:
    "foo at example.org"

Change (N)ame, (E)mail, or (O)kay/(Q)uit? o

Or with the not anymore new quick command:

$ gpg --quick-gen-key foo at example.org
About to create a key for:
    "foo at example.org"

Continue? (Y/n)

Now, if you want to have the fingerprint as a User-ID, that needs a bit
of extra work: First create a key with some arbitrary user-id, then use
--edit-key to add a new User-ID containg the fingerprint, delete the
original User-ID, save, and publish the key.  I do not suggest such user
IDs because they would only confuse users.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner