Certified OpenPGP-encryption after release of Thunderbird 78

Stefan Claas sac at 300baud.de
Fri May 29 12:29:48 CEST 2020

Binarus wrote:

> On 28.05.2020 23:21, Stefan Claas wrote:
> >
> > while it is not my business, I do not understand why you have to
> > take care about the Thunderbird issue, as a users and not the
> > Aufsichtsbehörde ... If for example you have a job at the
> > Aufsichtsbehörde then ok, like I said, I would contact gnupg.com and
> > ask them if GnuPG Desktop (A Windows app) fits for your working
> > environment and in case not what they would suggest, because the
> > Aufsichtsbehörde should have IMHO funds to issue a professional
> > licensed working solution for their employees.
> >
> > In case you only have to deal as a gpg4win user with the
> > Aufsichtsbehörde via email, then I don't understand how would they
> > detect if you would not comply by using later the new Thunderbird,
> > without BSI approval.
>
> This is not my field, but I believe that (besides authorities) there
> are companies or other institutions which *must* use certified
> encryption solutions. Some ideas:

[...]

Yes, understand. But then if those institutions have no funds or
are not willing to invested in their IT security infrastructure
then they may ask the BSI how to proceed. Maybe the BSI has funds
to let gnupg.com develope a custom Windows solution for them.

The other option would be that the OP and others continue using
their current Thunderbird/Enigmail/gpg4win setup.

Regards
Stefan