Certified OpenPGP-encryption after release of Thunderbird 78

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Sun May 31 00:05:38 CEST 2020

> I'm sorry, but that is simply not true. There is a known bug in the
> library used by Thunderbird (RNP) that leads to crashes when importing
> _certain_ keys. But I succeeded in importing all of my keys without any
> problems (more than 1.000), except for 5 V3-keys. I can definitely say
> that it's not just broken, and it can import keys.

I have yet to talk to anyone who's been able to import their keyring,
which is the absolute minimum use case.  When it fails it does so
silently.  If the minimum use case of "average users should be able to
import their keyrings" leads to RNP crashing, no keys being imported,
and no error message being generated, I have no problem calling key
importation broken.

> Again, that's oversimplified. OpenPGP will not be enabled _by_ _default_
> but users may still enable it manually.

According to Kai's post on one of the TB mailing lists, he wants the
version in 78 to be a technology preview, hidden from the user, and only
accessible to power users.  I don't consider that to be shipping it for 78.