Five volunteers needed (EU .... Are you sure that this is really advantageous?

John A. Leuenhagen john+gnupg-users at zlima12.com
Sun Oct 11 04:12:11 CEST 2020

On Thu, Oct 08, 2020 at 12:27:24AM +0200, Stefan Claas wrote:
> Regarding the Internet as of today and Al Gores vision and the Internet
> commerce etc.
>
> I always wondered why it is not possible for me and probably many other
> people to not get a *static* IPv6 address additionally when you sign up
> as private individual at an ISP of your choice?
>
> People could use as usual still common IPv4 for their regular surfing etc.
> but had then the ability, with a static IPv6 address to run their own
> email server and other services from home with a little Raspberry Pi etc.,
> without purchasing a VPS plan, thus one would only need to register a
> domain of choice and the records management could also bee done a) with
> the Domain Registrar or your local ISP, instead of the VPS hosting provider.

Certainly it would be preferable to have a static IPv6 address for that
sort of thing, but it's still quite simple to run services from home by
using dynamic DNS. I'm able to have ddclient run on my router, which
will inform my DNS provider (Cloudflare) of any changes to my dynamic
IPv4 address. Sure, during the occasional change to my address, my
services might go down for a minute or two. For me at least, that's not
the end of the world.