Show that an encrypted message was signed, without decrypting it

Neal H. Walfield neal at walfield.org
Sun Oct 11 22:47:01 CEST 2020

Hi Teemu,

On Sun, 11 Oct 2020 11:02:00 +0200,
Teemu Likonen wrote:
> * 2020-10-11 02:40:28+02, Stefan Claas wrote:
>
> > I was reading old GnuPG threads were people were asking if it's
> > possible to extract a signature from an encrypted message.
>
> It seems that there is a visible signature packet in encrypted and
> signed messages. See the output of this command:
>
>     echo message | gpg --encrypt --sign --default-recipient-self | \
>         gpg --list-packets

The signature information is normally (that is, when doing sign then
encrypt) completely encapsulated by the encryption container.  What I
think you are seeing is gpg caching something.  If you replace 'gpg
--list-packets' with 'pgpdump', then you probably won't see any
signature information.

:) Neal