Preserving public keyserver network (Re: Which keyserver)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Oct 23 11:14:55 CEST 2020

Am Samstag 19 September 2020 23:34:32 schrieb Stefan Claas:
> I stand by my points that hockeypuck can solve the issues

To me
it makes sense to preserve a decentalised network of public keyservers [1].

In my post
 Preserving non-central and privacy with a "permission recording keyserver"
    [Reiter 2019-07 a]
 https://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-devel/2019-July/034399.html
there is a concept allowing for compatibility with strong privacy laws.

Some ideas how we could conceptually preserve third party
signature information on public servers:
  Preserving third party signatures distribution [Reiter 2019-07 b]
  https://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-devel/2019-July/034394.html

So yes, I also believe that improvements to hockeypuck or a fresh
implementation could step by step get the public keyserver network up again.

Best Regards,
Bernhard
ps.: Because I believe funding more qualified dev time is part of the
solution: You can become a sponsor for hockeypuck development, see
  https://github.com/sponsors/cmars
(my company Intevation is one, we also gave a small donation to KF Web running
 https://sks-keyservers.net/).

[1]
  Web of Trust's usefulness [Reiter 2019-07 c]
  https://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-devel/2019-July/034412.html

  | as additional source of trust and history.

  | Abandoning the web of trust common infrastructure works against usage
  | models where there is anonymous usage, several identities, non-email use
  | and offline usage. All those maybe not the majority case, they may even be
  | niche models, but I think they are important to add diversity and
  | resiliance against manipulations of mainstream players.
   (spelling improved)