Announcing paperbackup.py to backup keys as QR codes on paper

bexnews at gmail.com bexnews at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 14:16:19 CEST 2020

Hello Friends,

Ok I am no coder so I am trying to bungle my way thru setting up
paperbackup.py.

My goal was to be able to print out a paper encrypted backup of a strong
key that I can use to encrypt data or other keys. I tried the Windows
Paperbackup from OllyDbg but it is older, on Windows (I'm on Linux atm) and
was having a hard time getting the roundtrip to work with my printer and
scanner. Paperbackup.py looked like a smart idea and I like the redundancy
of the QR code and text string outputs. I tried the usage instructions....

1. the first issue was I think specifically you need to prefix
"paperbackup.py" with "python" correct?
2. second issue was when I do #1 I get

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "paperbackup.py", line 35, in <module>
>     import qrencode
> ImportError: No module named qrencode

3. I may be failing to install all the dependencies properly. I did  "sudo
apt install qrencode" and seems installed (qrencode version 3.4.4 Copyright
(C) 2006-2012 Kentaro Fukuchi), but no change in the ImportError in #2. Is
there some other way to "hook" qrencode into paperbackup.py? I tried
putting it all into the same folder but it doesn't seem to help.

danke schoen!
- bexnews