Recovering private keys in a friend's GPG installation

Ángel angel at pgp.16bits.net
Wed Sep 30 23:25:13 CEST 2020

On 2020-09-21 at 12:58 -0400, Andrew Engelbrecht via Gnupg-users wrote:
> My best guess is that these 3 keys are associated with some older
> private keys, and were merely left behind. If there is a way to check
> the fingerprint of the keys they belong to, and to import them, that
> would be super helpful. Is there a way to do that?
>
> Thanks, : )
> Andrew

Hello Andrew

gpg --list-keys --with-keygrip will give you the keygrip of the public
keys  you have. The filename of the private keys are the keygrip.

If they are associated with public keys nobody has then, while it would
be possible to recreate an equivalent gpg key if you had the key
creation time, it would probably be simpler to create new keys.

Best regards