gpg-wks-client generates empty files

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Aug 19 15:22:36 CEST 2021

Hi!

On Sat, 31 Jul 2021 23:05, Jonas Tobias Hopusch said:

> Does anyone know what may have gone wrong? Is there any additional information I
> can provide to help with tracking down what I presume to be a bug?

It took me a while to track this down.  If you look closely at the
listing:

pub   rsa4096/612F3350DB59D359 2021-01-27 [C] [verfällt: 2024-01-27]
  Schl.-Fingerabdruck = 1F42 EF02 BE3E 6FE8 F624  C8BC 612F 3350 DB59 D359
uid              [vollständig]  (Domain owner of jotoho.de) <hostm[...]
                               ^- Here is leading blank.

gpg --list-packets makes it easier to see:

:user ID packet: " (Domain owner of jotoho.de) <hostmaster at jotoho.de>"
                  ^
Although that is somewhat peculiar it does not harm.  But,
gpg-wks-client does some processing of the key:

1. It list all mail addresses from the key and matches them to the
   requested mail address.  (in your example hostmaster at ...)

2. Now it may happen tha there are several user-ids all with the same
   mail address.  gpg-wks-tools picks one of them and then extracts
   exactly that user id - however in this case it does not match by the
   mail address but by the full user-id so that there will be only one
   user-id in the final key.

3. The filter built expression unfortunately strips leading blanks but
   requires a verbatim match.  Thus it won't find the user id again and
   errors out.

Right there is a second error that the empty file should not have been
written.  But after all that error should never happen.

I need to see how I can avoid to trim the leading space from the filter
expression.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner