MS Surface Go Sim Card appears to cause scdaemon crash

NIIBE Yutaka gniibe at fsij.org
Fri Aug 20 08:47:53 CEST 2021

Hello,

Derek C Hoffmann via Gnupg-users <gnupg-users at gnupg.org> wrote:
> It looks like scdaemon is crashing when attempting to access a sim card
> slot/sim card itself on my Surface Go.

It is my fault.  I added multiple card readers support (for PC/SC) to
GnuPG 2.3, and it causes an issue in your use case.  By default,
scdaemon tries to access all available card readers.  It has a bug
accessing the second reader when the first reader doesn't have a card.

Related bug is tracked at:

	https://dev.gnupg.org/T5416

And it will be fixed in GnuPG 2.3.2.

> Any other suggestions as to prevent this crash without disabling the
> Mobile Broadband card?

If you have a line in scdaemon.conf, like:

	reader-port Microsoft IFD 0

scdaemon will only access to the card reader.  Please try this, until
fixed version will be released.