Why are 64-bit libraries not included in GnuPG but Gpg4win?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Dec 3 12:10:48 CET 2021

Hi Sven,

Am Donnerstag 02 Dezember 2021 10:06:11 schrieb Bernhard Reiter:
> > It's not like they don't
> > exist at all but they are part of Gpg4win only.

was in contact with Werner (for other reasons) yesterday,
he may still write something about this, but what I think now is
that you are talking about libraries like gpgme which Thunderbird uses.

> > Shouldn't they be included directly in the core part?

Gpgme is an access libary (the official API) and of course it is mainly needed
when other application access it. Some people do not need it and it seems
reasonable to me, to not consider it part of the core of the GnuPG crypto
engine.

> Gpg4win is an official GnuPG distribution for Windows
> and it is possible to customise the installation to mainly install GnuPG.

If it really is the libraries (like I assume now),
it seems fine to have them in the full distribution for Windows.

Another aspect is interesting: After the setup change you did to Thunderbird,
did all operations work fine using public and private keys from GnuPG?

Best Regards,
Bernhard