fingerprint associated public key does not match displayed public key

S.B. sami.badri at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 02:43:25 CET 2021

 Thank you guys.  This is helping.

No, I did not export the key.  Using the fingerprint, I downloaded the
asc file from openpgp.org and placed it into my disk/users/SamiBadri,
and then used the command: cat filename, to reveal the key block.

That key block did not match the one on his profile. That’s what
confused me. But I’m learning (from you guys) that the key blocks
don’t necessarily have to match.  So I can assume that:

- the fingerprint is specific for the secret key component of the
generated key pair and does not change.

- the pgp public key is, in a way, fluid. It can take many different
forms but encrypts specifically for the matching secret key only. The
same public key can have different key blocks.

- I could’ve used the keyserver-obtained public key (retrieved via the
fingerprint), or I could’ve used the displayed public key that was
given in armor text form.  They are one and the same, even though
their revealed text is different.

Is all this correct?

When you want to give someone your public key, do you normally just
give your email, fingerprint, key ID, or the armor form key block?

and...

is there a command i could've used to directly import the key using
the displayed key block?  I've tried some different ones I found in
various places but nothing worked.

Thank you guys.
S.B.