SSH and gpg2: pinentry errors hidden from view, agent refused operation

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Dec 30 16:44:10 CET 2021

On Donnerstag, 30. Dezember 2021 15:38:47 CET Lars Noodén via Gnupg-users
wrote:
> What else is needed to get pinentry invoked so that the SSH client can
> connect using the GnuPG RSA key?
>
> At this point the public key is visible in the SSH agent:
>
>   $ ssh-add -l
>   3072 SHA256:j0V4cVzC...NKQPA (none) (RSA)
>
> and the public key has been saved in the default file:
>
>   $ssh-add -L > ~/.ssh/id_rsa

The file ~/.ssh/id_rsa usually contains the secret key. The corresponding
public key is usually in the file called ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub. I'm not sure
whether this confuses ssh. Maybe it tries to interpret your public key as
secret key.

Regards,
Ingo