recommendation for key servers

Andrew Gallagher andrewg at andrewg.com
Wed Jul 7 00:20:23 CEST 2021

On 06/07/2021 20:59, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> On Mon 2021-06-28 18:42:02 +0100, Andrew Gallagher via Gnupg-users wrote:
>> It’s not clear, but it may be due to a lack of canonical ordering of
>> packets.
>
> There are no published specifications for how to canonically order
> OpenPGP packets, but i sketched a proposal here:
>
>      https://dev.gnupg.org/T3389
>
> Adoption of such a canonical ordering would reduce the amount of
> computation for synchronizing keyservers, once they all adopted the same
> one.

That's an interesting idea, and it has merit in itself, but from a
keyserver point of view I think a more general solution is to explode
TPKs into atomic components, sync them separately, and reconstruct the
TPK on demand at query time. This addresses not just reordering of
packets, but also differential filtering, simultaneous updates, etc.

See https://github.com/hockeypuck/hockeypuck/issues/137

--
Andrew Gallagher