--search-keys: "gpg: error searching keyserver: No inquire callback in IPC"

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Jul 28 15:45:47 CEST 2021

Hi Rainer,

Am Mittwoch 28 Juli 2021 11:22:18 schrieb Rainer Fiebig via Gnupg-users:
> Hi! I'm having a problem when searching for keys on keyservers when
> using "gpg --search-keys".
>
> The only line in dirmngr.conf (except for comments) is:
> keyserver hkps://keys.openpgp.org

note that this particular keyserver has decided to be incompatible with
the current OpenPGP standard, by ommitting a valid user id, unless
it was "validated".
(It says so it in its FAQ and there is port of a discussion here
https://dev.gnupg.org/T4393#133695)
This could potentially cause problems.

> However, this (and only this) works:
>
> ~> gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --search-keys
> E3FF2839C048B25C084DEBE9B26995E310250568

Have you tried some other keyservers like http://keys2.andreas-puls.de/ ?
Or you can set some dirmngr options to get more diagnostic output
in its logfile. (See dirmngr's documentation.)

Regards,
Bernhard