[blfs-support] --search-keys: "gpg: error searching keyserver: No inquire callback in IPC"

Rainer Fiebig jrf at mailbox.org
Sat Jul 31 22:16:35 CEST 2021

Am 31.07.21 um 21:00 schrieb Xi Ruoyao:
> On Sat, 2021-07-31 at 19:56 +0200, Rainer Fiebig wrote:

>>> On Unix and unless gnupg was build with --with-default-trust-store-
>>> file
>>> the following collections of certificates are used for TLS:
>>>
>>>     { "/etc/ssl/ca-bundle.pem" },
>>>     { "/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt" },
>>>     { "/etc/pki/tls/cert.pem" },
>>>     { "/usr/local/share/certs/ca-root-nss.crt" },
>>>     { "/etc/ssl/cert.pem" }
>>>

> Hi Werner,
>
> Our "recommended" configuration in BLFS is: gnutls is built with p11-kit
> and --with-default-trust-store-pkcs11="pkcs11:", and gnupg is built with
> gnutls.  So gnupg "should" use certificates from p11-kit trust store I
> think?  And it works for me.
>
> I saw your discussion with "curl".  In BLFS curl uses OpenSSL instead of
> GnuTLS, so they actually have different trust stores.  GnuTLS (using
> p11-kit) uses /etc/pki/anchors, OpenSSL uses /etc/ssl/certs.
>
> I remember once an unclean shutdown caused a similar issue on my system
> (/etc/pki/anchors is disrupted, and every program using GnuTLS just
> started to distrust every certificate).
>
> Hi Rainer,
>
> Try "gnutls-cli keys.openpgp.org".  If it does not get into "Simple
> Client Mode" as expected, it means p11-kit trust store may be disrupted.
> Try "make-ca -f -g" to rebuild it.
>
> And check if your p11-kit was built with
> -Dtrust_paths=/etc/pki/anchors as the BLFS book says.  If not sure,
> rebuild it.  (I can also remember once I've mistyped the path, this also
> caused every program using GnuTLS started to distrust every
> certificate.)

OK, issued "make-ca -f -g" and re-built gnupg *without* path_to_file.
But the result then was again

~> gpg --search-keys E3FF2839C048B25C084DEBE9B26995E310250568
gpg: error searching keyserver: No inquire callback in IPC

So the only way to get this reliably working on my system seems to be
building gnupg *with* path_to_file.