migration by copy of ~/.gnupg not working

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Fri Jun 4 09:33:35 CEST 2021

On Donnerstag, 3. Juni 2021 19:50:17 CEST Herr Saalfeld via Gnupg-users wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I though migrating my user GPG configuration onto a new computer should
> be as simple as making a full copy of ~/.gnupg with rsync
>
> rsync -av old:/home/me/.gnupg /home/me/

I would have expected the same.

> However, on the new computer, I see nothing when I call
>
> gpg -k
>
> So I checked for differences
>
> gpg --version on the new computer prints
>
> gpg (GnuPG) 2.2.20
> libgcrypt 1.8.7
[snip]
> Home: /home/me/.gnupg
[snip]

> on the old computer, it is almost the same
>
> gpg (GnuPG) 2.2.20
> libgcrypt 1.8.5
[snip]
> Home: /home/me/.gnupg
[snip]

> The directory content on both machines is
>
> $ ls -al ~/.gnupg
> total 152
> drwx------  4 me me  4096 Jun  3 13:41 .
> drwxr-xr-x 93 me me  4096 Jun  3 11:55 ..
> drwx------  2 me me  4096 Dec 22  2017 crls.d
> -rw-------  1 me me  9400 Feb 25  2016 gpg.conf
> -rw-r--r--  1 me me     0 Aug  2  2016 .gpg-v21-migrated

This file indicates that in the past gpg did (try) a migration of the old key
storage to the new key storage.

> drwx------  2 me me  4096 Aug 30  2019 private-keys-v1.d

This folder is the new storage location for your private keys.

> -rw-------  1 me me 31836 Apr  8 21:51 pubring.gpg

This is the old public keyring file.

> -rw-------  1 me me    32 Jun  3 11:30 pubring.kbx

This is the new public keyring file. It is suspiciously small.

> -rw-------  1 me me   600 Apr 15 11:24 random_seed
> -rw-------  1 me me  2582 Feb 25  2016 secring.gpg

This is the old private/secret keyring file.

> -rw-r--r--  1 me me 49152 Oct 17  2019 tofu.db
> -rw-------  1 me me  2040 Oct 17  2019 trustdb.gpg
>

> Can anybody help me out here?

Try the following:
a) Terminate all running background processes/daemons of gpg
gpgconf --kill all
b) Remove the migration indicator file
rm ~/.gnupg/.gpg-v21-migrated
c) List the public keys
gpg -k

If this doesn't fix the problem, then do the migration manually by importing
the old public keyring and the old secret keyring:
gpg --import ~/.gnupg/pubring.gpg
gpg --import ~/.gnupg/secring.gpg

Regards,
Ingo