Long Term Key Management With Hardware Tokens

Brandon Anderson brandon753.ba at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 04:52:37 CEST 2021

Hey everyone,

I have a question regarding using secure hardware such as
Yubikey/Nitrokey, GPG smartcards, and the handling of encryption key
rotation and replacement. I currently have a GPG key with a 4096 bit RSA
key generated on a GPG smart card version 2.1. I have recently acquired
two Yubikey 5's, both of which support curve25519. It is unclear if
version 3.4 of the GPG smart card supports this curve, but if it does, I
would be interested in using it as well. As I am looking to generate a
new key that uses the curve25519, I was trying to plan out how I should
handle key management and revocation. I was thinking that sub-signing
keys could be generated on the secure hardware and a sub decryption key
could be generated and imported onto each of these devices with an
air-gapped system. Then the non-secure copy of the key is destroyed.
Ideally, these subkeys would only ever exist on the secure hardware.
When either a token is lost, a new one is added, or enough time has
passed that I want to roll the keys, I would revoke the subkey in use,
generate a new one via the same process and add it to the security
tokens in use.

The problem, of course, comes when I need to decrypt old messages signed
with the revoked key or if someone at a later point sends an encrypted
message to the revoked key. Ideally, I would keep one security token
that is assigned the encryption subkey simultaneously as the others
before it is destroyed from the computer.This token's job would be to
store historic encryption keys if I ever needed to decrypt messages with
the older encryption keys. PIV smartcards, including the Yubikey
implementation, support Slots 82-95: Retired Key Management which is
specifically built for the purpose of key rotation while letting a user
store many old encryption keys before they need to acquire new hardware.
As neat as this is, the GPG smart card implementations seem to offer no
such similar feature. The GPG keys on the smartcards seem specialized
specifically for the type of key, be it signing or encryption; you cant
even store 3~4 encryption keys per card. Is there a proper way to do
this similar to the PIV retired key management scheme? Most people say
to just backup offline the encryption keys. Still, I feel like security
is lost if that key is ever recoverable in a form other than the secure
hardware (e.g., it somehow leaks, resulting in old messages being able
to be decrypted). Is there a reason the GPG smart card system does not
have retired key slots as part of the design? How is one supposed to
best go about this without getting new cards everytime you rotate
encryption subkeys?

Sincerely,

Brandon Anderson