gpg: keyserver receive failed: No name - for gpg --keyserver hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net

Alexander Polcyn apolcyn at google.com
Thu Jun 24 19:19:41 CEST 2021

Starting on the morning of June 21 between ~6am and 9am PDT, one of our CI
jobs which fetches gpg keys with:

gpg --keyserver hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys ...

.... started failing because of what looks like a failure to resolve the
pool name.

FWIW the following also fails in the same way:

gpg --keyserver hkp://ipv4.pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys ...

And testing from my machine, it looks like these names now get NXDOMAIN
when attempting to resolve in DNS:

$ host ipv4.pool.sks-keyservers.net

Host ipv4.pool.sks-keyservers.net not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

$ host pool.sks-keyservers.net

Host pool.sks-keyservers.net not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

Did these names get permanently deleted? Any workarounds or suggestions
would be appreciated.

thanks,

Alex