[EXT] Best practices for obtaining a new GPG certificate

Andreas K. Huettel andreas.huettel at ur.de
Thu Mar 18 10:21:37 CET 2021

Hi David,

when Gentoo switched to requiring gpg-signed git commits and pushes, we put
some thought into requirements and best practices. Minus the Gentoo-specific
parts, this is probably good reading:

https://www.gentoo.org/glep/glep-0063.html
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Infrastructure/
Generating_GLEP_63_based_OpenPGP_keys

Best,
Andreas

Am Donnerstag, 18. März 2021, 05:06:24 CET schrieb David Mehler via Gnupg-
users:
> Hello,
>
> My existing GPG certificate is going to expire in less than a month.
> I'd like to know current best practices for obtaining a new one? In
> particular I'm looking for the best protocol and strength for a
> security not a performance stance. The certificate will mainly be used
> for verifying and signing sent messages, and tagging git commits on
> personal servers. Devices used will be Windows 10 pcs and tablets and
> Android (version 10 and 11) phones and tablets.
> Suggestions welcome.
> Thanks.
> Dave.

PD Dr. Andreas K. Huettel
Institute for Experimental and Applied Physics
University of Regensburg
93040 Regensburg
Germany

tel. +49 151 241 67748 (mobile)