GPG slows git commit

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Fri Mar 26 08:56:07 CET 2021

On Donnerstag, 25. März 2021 13:20:47 CET Erik Reinertsen wrote:
> I have a private repo with a few python scripts (small). I create an empty
> text file, git add it, and commit it. I sign commits using GPG.
>
> This process takes 4.64 seconds. Without gpg signing, it takes <1 sec.
>
> Expected
> git commit is lightning fast, and gpg signing does not slow down git commit

That's an unreasonable expectation. gpg signing will take some time. It will
slow down git commit. But, of course, it shouldn't take multiple seconds.

> Additional info
> Any input would be much appreciated. I am also a beginner with GPG and git,
> so thanks for your patience in advance.

First let's have a look at your key. Please run
gpg --list-secret-keys
and paste the output for your signing key into your reply.

Moreover, let's time gpg signing without git. Run
echo Hello | time gpg --clearsign

Additionally, let's check which version of gpg you are using. Run
gpg --version

Regards,
Ingo