All my Passwords are lost

Vincent Pelletier plr.vincent at gmail.com
Mon May 3 02:27:12 CEST 2021

On Tue, 27 Apr 2021 20:32:04 +0200, Marek Stepanek <mstep at podiuminternational.org> wrote:
> That means, no way to fiddle around with the headers (I called them like that) of the pw.gpg-file.

BTW, I just noticed that there was an on-list-only email which gave
details on how to extract and replace-during-decryption these, so in
case you are not subscribed and missed it, here it is:
  https://lists.archive.carbon60.com/gnupg/users/90299#90299
(first result on "gnupg-user archives", no idea about the quality of
this archive domain in particular)

Also, I had a completely different idea to how to maybe retrieve the
file: as you decrypt it on-disk before use, maybe you can recover it by
undeleting this file ? This is of course:
- very dependent on the filesystem (I believe not all have tools for
  undeleting)
- very dependent on the amount of writes which happened since the last
  deletion (compared to the amount of free space)
- very dependent on whether this is on an ssd and whether you have
  "discard" enabled
- possibly tedious, depending on the capabilities of the tool used to
  undelete
but at least this is a way which puts crypto out of the equation.

And on a related note: is there an RAM-only (ideally swap-disabled, no
temporary file...) decipher-edit-encipher editor out there, to avoid
having to write plain files to disk and leaving such traces ? I thought
kleopatra did this, but I cannot find it now.

> It is really encrypted with the PUBLIC key of pause at pause.perl.org <mailto:pause at pause.perl.org> - probably a dead email address - nobody is reading.

Maybe you can try to reach out someone else on the perl.org domain, who
may guide you to someone having access to that key ?

Regards,
--
Vincent Pelletier
GPG fingerprint 983A E8B7 3B91 1598 7A92 3845 CAC9 3691 4257 B0C1