decryption failed: No pinentry

Andreas Mattheiss please.post at publicly.invalid
Mon May 31 12:30:27 CEST 2021

Hello,

Am Mon, 31 May 2021 07:59:35 +0200 schrieb Christopher Richardson via
Gnupg-users:

> This is probably something very trivial, but Im building gpg for the
> first time since, apparently,  2013, according to my old binary. The build
> seems fine, but ...

a bit of a longshot, but if your pinintry is also as of 2013 there might
(might!) be incompatabilities with a modern gpg? The obvious thing would
be to also update pinentry, which is painless.

You can specify a pinentry program during the configure step when building
gpg. I haven't done this, and it still finds pinentry and works fine. I
could not spot that configure would do any other checks on pinentry on the
system (checking usability etc.). I don't have any pinentry defined in any
of my settings in .gnupg/ neither.

Regards
Andreas