how to add a passphrase to a keypair

raf gnupg at raf.org
Sun Oct 3 04:51:48 CEST 2021

On Sun, Oct 03, 2021 at 01:40:03PM +1100, raf <gnupg at raf.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 02, 2021 at 07:12:45PM -0400, Jack via Gnupg-users <gnupg-users at gnupg.org> wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to add a passphrase to a secret key originally created
> > without one?  If so, please tell me how.  I'll be happy with either
> > instructions or pointer to the fine manual I either missed or misread.
> >
> > I have tried lots of variations.  Attempts using gpg-agent fail because
> > pinentry (I've tried text and gui versions) refuses to accept a blank
> > passphrase.  Variants using --passphrase or --passphrase-fd don't work
> > because they only allow passing one passphrase, and I need to provide the
> > old one and the new one.  I've also tried --export-secret-key, which also
> > fails with "error receiving key from agent: No passphrase given - skipped"
> > when using --passphrase-fd.
> >
> > I do have a copy of gpg-1.4.23 available, but simply copying .gnupg to a new
> > user and using the old gpg doesn't help because gpg1 doesn't see the secret
> > keys from gpg2, and I haven't been able to export them.
> >
> > Is there a way to do this, or is revoking the old key and creating new keys
> > from scratch the only solution?
> >
> > Thanks for any information.
> >
> > Jack
>
> Try these instructions for changing the passphrase:
>
>   https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-unix-gpg-change-passphrase-command/
>   https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GnuPrivacyGuardHowto#Changing_your_Passphrase
>
>   gpg --edit-key Your-Key-ID-Here
>   gpg> passwd
>   gpg> save

Also, don't use gpg1. I'm guessing that either the key
was created with gpg2, or was created with gpg1 but
then ~/.gnupg was subsequently converted for use with
gpg2 (since you say "gpg1 doesn't see the secret keys
from gpg2"). If either is the case, keep using gpg2.

Also, if you are getting the error "No passphrase
given", I could be wrong, but that might suggest that
the secret key is already encrypted. Are you sure that
there is no existing passphrase? If so, ignore this.

cheers,
raf