Unable to decrypt file copied from USB thumb drive.

Fri Oct 29 15:01:27 CEST 2021

12021/07/21 01:78.66 ನಲ್ಲಿ, Chris Taylor <chris at christaylordeveloper.co.uk> ಬರೆದರು:
> Hello Group,
>
> I am developing a backup process for personal files, on USB thumb
> drive.  I tar and zip my files (30GB) then encrypt them with:
>
> gpg --no-symkey-cache --symmetric --cipher-algo AES256 my-backup.tar.gz
>
> I copy my-backup.tar.gz.gpg to my USB thumb drive.  I am using Ubuntu so
> the USB drive is formatted to Ext4.
>
> I try to decrypt with:
>
> gpg --output my-backup.tar.gz --decrypt my-backup.tar.gz.gpg
>
> and get the following error:
>
> gpg: AES256 encrypted data
> gpg: encrypted with 1 passphrase
> gpg: block_filter 0x0000556d112aa1e0: read error (size=13328,a->size=13328)
> gpg: WARNING: encrypted message has been manipulated!
> gpg: block_filter: pending bytes!
>
> I have gpg version 2.2.19, libgcrypt 1.8.5.  Without encryption this
> process has worked perfectly well many times.
>
> Any advice greatly appreciated.
>
> Chris.

Do you get the same error if you try to decrypt it before moving the file? I tried with the exact same arguments with gpg 2.3.1, libgcrypt 1.9.4 and everything worked well (though I didn't try moving the files to another medium).

I also wonder if you're waiting until the file has been fully written (you can ensure this by running `sync` and waiting until it has returned) before trying to decrypt?

- Chiraag
--
ಚಿರಾಗ್ ನಟರಾಜ್
Pronouns: he/him/his