OpenPGP smartcard and P-256 in non expert mode

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Aug 11 15:30:04 CEST 2022

On Donnerstag, 11. August 2022 09:39:24 CEST Sosthène Guédon | Nitrokey via
Gnupg-users wrote:
> I don't understand why generating a key on a smartcard only offers
> Curve25519 and P-384 for ECC cryptography unless the --expert flag is used.

You are asking the question the wrong way. Why should P-256 be offered without
the --expert flag? It's not as if gpg wouldn't allow you to create a P-256 key.

Only experts will be able to make an educated decision between P-256 and
P-384. It's good to give "normal" people less choice by default because more
choice will just confuse them even more. Even having to choose between
Curve25519 and P-384 will be too much already for people who just have been
told that they should generate an ECC key.

Regards,
Ingo