Question about redundant smartcard setup

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Aug 19 17:21:12 CEST 2022

On Fri, 19 Aug 2022 14:48, kho said:

> 4. Another approach is that I could for example have created just 3
> subkeys (not 6) and copied all 3 to smartcard1 and again to smartcard2.
> I thought that having those subkeys separately is ideal, specially in a
> occasion were smartcard2 is stolen. Then I revoke the smartcard2 subkeys

No need to.  Save a paper copy of the keys before you remove them from
the disk.  If both cards are broken you can still type the keys in and
create a new smartcard.  Exact procedures depend on your threat model.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner

--
The pioneers of a warless world are the youth that
refuse military service.             - A. Einstein