one ecc key-pair for both encryption and signature?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Jan 7 15:06:06 CET 2022

With 2.2.33 is is not possible to create a single ecc key-pair
that can do "sign" and "encrypt".

I know that "ed25519" and "cv25519" are different algorithms,
but from my limited understanding the same key-pair should be
usable for both encrypting and signing in theory?

Can someone point me to an explanation why it isn't done so here?

Thanks
Bernhard

== Details
GNUPGHOME=~/dot-gnupg-test3/ gpg --expert --full-generate-keygpg: WARNING:
gpg (GnuPG) 2.2.33; Copyright (C) 2021 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Please select what kind of key you want:
   (1) RSA and RSA (default)
   (2) DSA and Elgamal
   (3) DSA (sign only)
   (4) RSA (sign only)
   (7) DSA (set your own capabilities)
   (8) RSA (set your own capabilities)
   (9) ECC and ECC
  (10) ECC (sign only)
  (11) ECC (set your own capabilities)
  (13) Existing key
  (14) Existing key from card
Your selection? 11

Possible actions for a ECDSA/EdDSA key: Sign Certify Authenticate
Current allowed actions: Sign Certify

   (S) Toggle the sign capability
   (A) Toggle the authenticate capability
   (Q) Finished