Side-channel attacks

Johan Wevers johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl
Thu Jan 20 21:22:43 CET 2022

On 18-01-2022 15:54, Robert J. Hansen via Gnupg-users wrote:

>> Well, a bit more respect for backwards compatibility would help a lot
>> by that. Now I'm forced to keep an 1.4 and pgp 2.6 version installed
>> just to be able to read all my old data. Some people just refuse to
>> update to versions that routinely break backwards compatibility.
>
> You've had literally 27 years to migrate your data.  I have zero sympathy.

Migrate? That data is in my mail archive. While it would be possible for
me to write a program to scan the mail file for pgp blockes, check which
pgp version is used, decrypt the data, re-encrypt it with a modern gpg
version and replace that textblock, it would still lose information
about dates and signatures.

Those who are confined to mail clients that use binary file formats
(read: Outlook) don't have that option unless you know a way to do that
in .pst files.

How I can do that with mail located at my provider, who probably does
not give me write access to the raw mailbox file, is also a mystery to me.

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers